Bali is not only famous for its beaches but also Mount Agung, an active volcano that last eruption occurred in 2017. At that time, more than a hundred thousand people were evacuated from their home because of volcano alert was raised to the highest level. It disrupted flight in November to December 2017. If you look at it, it is bad idea to visit Bali especially Mount Agung because you are concerned about your own safety. However, it is now safe to venture Bali now since the alert has been down to a level 3.
Keep yourself safe during your venture in Bali
It is kind of terrifying to venture a place where an active volcano is. However, it is thrilling and exciting for adventure seeker. Of course, you need to prioritize your own safety no matter how thrilling your trip is going to be. However, you can still conquer Mount Agung Bali by paying attention to these tips:
- First, remember that Mount Agung is not all Bali. The mountain is situated in the northeast area of the island. Proximately, it is 70 km away from main tourist areas such as Nusa Dua, Jimbaran, Kuta, etc. Thus, if you want to visit Bali then you will be just fine. The danger zone around the crater is set at 4 mile radius so you will be safe to venture Bali.
- If you are going to really venture around Mountain Agung such as Karangasem in the east, it is recommended to hire a guide so that you feel more secured and not venture to dangerous areas. If you want to enjoy scenic view around Ubud, feel free to do it because it is completely safe.
- If you are worried about Mount Agung to erupt again, you just need to bring important necessities. When venturing Bali and the mountain erupts, make sure to bring the right things such as extra cash, face mask, goggles, dry food, extra clothes, first aid kit, and zip lock bags. Those things will help you survive and stay safe during eruption and emergency situation. It is also safer for you to stay indoor if the mountain erupts.
- If the mountain erupts, make sure to contact your airline to check if your flight is delayed or canceled. If it is, then you can call your home country’s embassy to help you getting out of the island. There is also ferry available that can take you to Lombok and book domestic flights to other cities. You can also take a bus to Surabaya.
- Of course, visiting Mount Agung directly without a guide is not wise decision especially because it is still active volcano. There are areas you cannot venture to so make sure to pay attention to warning and alerts during your trip in Bali. If the mount erupts, you can also volunteer to help the locals. However, make sure that you know what you are going to deal with because the situation may put your life in danger.