Either traveling solo or with group, your priorities should be your health and safety. Every plan you make should include those factors into consideration such as when you choose destination, book accommodation, and transportation.
When you travel healthily and safely, the more memorable your travel is because you will truly enjoy it. Getting sick during a trip is common. However, you can prevent it from happen if you know how to make a healthy and safe travel.
Travel ailments you may experience
Traveling is fun and all. However, sometimes your body is not ready to face different environment and situation. Thus, it can cause your health in jeopardy. There are various ailments you may suffer during your travel. Here are some examples:
- The most common ailment is motion sickness. It is unpleasant problem that can give you inconvenience throughout your trip. You can prevent from motion sickness by taking medicine prior to your departure. Or, you can also try several tips to fight against it such as sitting in the front seat, avoid reading, siting near the wing of the plane, etc. choose the one that works for you.
- Another common ailment is dehydration which can lead to other health problems such as headache, cramps, etc. it is easy to get dehydrated during travel. Thus, it is important to drink plenty of water throughout your trip. However, avoid caffeinated drinks and alcohol because those can make you dehydrated more.
- Diarrhea is also common during travel. It can be caused by foods or drinks. Therefore, it is better to avoid uncooked meat, raw vegetables, unpasteurized milk, and tap water. Aside from diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome is also common during travel. You may take over-the counter medication. To prevent this, stay away from stress, caffeinated drinks, as well as high-fat foods.
Stay safe during travel
Aside from keeping yourself healthy, you also need to make sure that you are safe throughout your trip. Your persona safety does matter especially during your travel. Here are some tips to stay safe during your trip:
- Book any type of accommodation located in safe and friendly neighborhood so you will be safe. During your stay, make sure to not let your door or window open carelessly even when you are inside. Do not answer people who knock on your door before confirming who they are. Make sure to clarify the front desk before opening the door.
- It is recommended to take public transportation. However, you can also rent a car to make sure that you are safe. If you choose to rent a car, it is better to hire personal driver as well who knows the locations and direction better. Ask for your hotel’s recommendation for car rental.
- Make sure to keep a low profile and try to blend in with locals. Wear something simple that doesn’t scream ‘tourist’ to avoid being a target for criminal acts. And of course, do not let your guard down and follow you gut feeling if you are in uncomfortable area.