Deciding travel destination can be overwhelming especially when you don’t have bucket list. You have to search more information about places for travelling. Chennai can be your option for your next travel plan because it is such an iconic city in India. It is often called as the gate of South India and the Detroit of India. This is the city where automobile industry has developed significantly and play major role to the economic growth to the country.
Traveling in Chennai safely and comfortably
Chennai is a great place to travel because the people there mostly speak Tamil and English. Two there won’t be any language barrier unless you visit more deserted places. There are also varieties of places to visit in Chennai. Here are several travel tips to make your travel in Chennai more enjoyable:
- Be ready with the hot and humid climate. The highest temperature can be up to 42 degrees Celsius. Therefore, you should always bring sunscreen to protect your skin from sun exposure. Extreme temperature mostly happen in late May and early June. You may also want to avoid the northeast monsoon where rainfall happen the most from mid-September to mid-December. If you want to be more comfortable, you may want to wait until the temperature decreases to an average of 24 degree Celsius from November to February.
- Prepare your currency to Indian rupee so you can buy anything you want such as souvenirs, foods, and many more.
- Traffic jam in Chennai can be horrendous so you might want to avoid travelling around mid-day. Might as well leave early if you want to explore the city. The most comfortable transport is Uber and taxi. However, taxi drivers usually charges foreign visitors with higher rates than usual. You can take a bus but you have to bear with the crowd because most buses are without air conditioning.
- Pack light and breathable clothes to travel in Chennai to be more comfortable during the travel. Cotton clothes are highly recommended.
- There are various places you can visit. If you want to experience and know more about the distinctive culture of Chennai, George Town Market and Bazaars is a great place to visit. You can buy fresh produce such as vegetables, fruits, flowers, and many more. Another great place to visit is Marina Beach. It is the world’s second biggest beach. It is a great place to watch sunset. It’s is urban beach where you can also play in the amusement park. However, swimming and bathing are not allowed to do because currents are string and dangerous.
- There is variety of foods you can try in Chennai. They are authentic and unique. However, make sure to not eat carelessly especially in the street vendors. Not all street stalls provide clean foods. Also, avoid tap water. It is highly advised to bring your own bottled water. Not only will it help you to stay hydrated throughout your travel in this capital city, it is to avoid drinking water containing parasite.